Last night my drum kit saved my life

Not so long ago I was still one to be found in a late night bar with a cool DJ. These Covid times has put a stop to that for most of us, but the will to slip on back in to some late night tunes is always there. Last night after a couple of glasses of Italian red Christmas cheer, my night owl instincts took over and I went and knocked out some beats.

With my drum teacher I have been recently working on improvising my drum fills - I wanted to just do that, to jam and improvise without a care, but as it got deeper in to the night, the deeper I wanted to just get in to the groove; to fall in to it and ride aong it like a deep trench of the Death Star in an X-Wing fighter (The Star Wars geek in me always raises its head at Christmas time...) and get lost in it. I got all over the high-hat like a disco rash. Baloo the bear from the Jungle Book had shimmied on in with me with his words of  'oh man what a beat'. 

It's like I was horny for a big phat, funky, dirty bassline, and a twanging, gritty, guitar riff. It was passionately oozing from my pores, alluring, grinding and voluptuous. Baloo the bear was with me when he heard the beat, 'I`m gone man, solid gone'. I didn't care for mistakes, it was wild and care free. I got da funk in da trunk. 

Just like the Deelite song, 'Groove is in the heart', well, that's me to a tee. I remember years ago on a college Geography field trip, on the evening working on the day's notes in the hostel with my mates, Deelite was grooving away in the background. While we worked for a while without speaking, it felt like there was a moment we were all on the wave, harmoniously gliding along to it, all coming together to break the silence in a synchronised chorus at the part where (at 3:38 on of the official video on Youtube) the beat stops for a  bar count of 4, where we all put our fingers in our rounded mouthes to produce the 'pop' sound. Our unification and alliance in the groove was official.

After a few songs I 'wanted to get out of my system' and had been Daft Punked, I put on a funk DJ set. It carried me along into the early hours, a drum fill here and there, took me away, all night baby, again and again. Gotta get up to get down. Last night the DJ saved my life, or was it my drum kit?

It was only at around 2:45am I realised I was tired enough to stop. Having an electronic drum kit and headphones at home keeps things much quieter, but I did forget that the music I was playing along to wasn't of the same mode and was for all the neighbours to hear. But hey, it's Christmas and ´tis the season to be jolly. Maybe I could do it again this week and people can shimmy on in too with Baloo.

Comments

Popular Posts