Pleasantly surprising


This week I got round to downloading the Florence and the Machine album 'Lungs'. I gotta say it took me a while after just loving the first song 'Rabbit Heart' over and over again during the last few months. Then she did a cover of Candi Staton's 'You've got the Love' - one of my favourite tunes ever - so how could I not download it?

The thing is those two songs aren't a good representation of the album. Me being a predominantly dance music fan, or better said, a fan of a tune with a good beat and a bellowing or funky bassline, I could have been quite disappointed at the other songs. But I wasn't, instead I was pleasantly surprised. And because I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked the alternatively mixmatch album, I was pleased at myself.

Because there is nothing I like more in life than when I manage to remain open-minded enough to try out something that on the surface would not seem to appeal to me. Don't judge a book by it's cover they say. Well I love to read.

There is also a tune on the album, 'Drumming song' which does have a cool beat. A different beat, but catchy and rhythmic and makes me want to move all the same. Her voice is shreakingly melodic. And then there are the words:

There's a drumming song inside my head
That throws me to the ground
I swear that you should hear it
It makes such an almighty sound

Louder than sirens
Louder than bells
Sweeter than hell
And hotter than hell

It kinda describes what has been going on in my head since the day I decided to put pen to paper (or fingers to laptop keyboard) and start writing, scribbling, and doodling in the corridors of my head. They are almost a definition of my reason to write. Listening to and reading those words was pleasantly surprising too, and pleasing to my mind.

Comments

Popular Posts